Transitions

I have been working to resolve a transition in the production of the film for the the English National Opera. Towards the end of the film we have our Tigress protagonist cry, and we have her tears bleeding into a pool of water which becomes the next shot. Preview below:

So I’ve thought about transition in different films. I’ve been trying to look at the work of the filmmaker Edgar Wright, director of one of my favorite films ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. The World’. I believe the film is a masterful work of storytelling and among it’s many strengths is its use of transitions. “Edgar Wright is a master of rhythm … transitions are a sight of opportunity for Wright, they’re a chance to build important connective tissue that brings the viewer through the story.” visually in my story I’m working on moving the viewer from a moment of pain to one where we distance ourselves from it and see a glimmer of hope in the flowers by panning downwards.

“What’s important is that the film goer is involved and engrossed at the same time. This delicate balance is achieved through transitions that are often lyrical, like a kind of visual poetry in the most unlikely place. It might be worth noting that Scott Pilgrim is a film about a transitionary period in the hero’s life, a period in between knowing who you were and deciding who you’re going to be.” Similarly to Scott in my film our heroine is in a moment of transition. She is dealing with the loss of her home but at the end of that loss is an uncertain but hopeful future.

Nerdwriter (2016) Scott Pilgrim: Make Your Transitions Count. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pij5lihbC6k (Accessed: 30 November 2018).