At the farm

Rough sketch of a sheep scratching it's neck
Rough sketch of a sheep scratching it’s neck

On as warm a day as London autumn could give us, Steve Roberts our senior lecturer invited us to Mudchute Farm for a day of sketching the animals. After getting lost about five times on the way I was able to meet up with everyone.

Rough sketches of llamas
Rough sketches of llamas

I started with attempting to draw the llamas, but it became evident quite quickly that the animals weren’t going to cooperate. The llamas sat huddled at the far end of the pen, not great for understanding their posture or movement.

Rough sketches of pigs and a llama
Rough sketches of pigs and a llama

Ambling around I found some curious sheep, hungry for a meal. It was interesting to see how they stretched over and squeezed through bar to get to handouts from the park’s visitors. Also how they laid down, front legs first, seemed incredibly awkward.

Rough sketches of sheep
Rough sketches of sheep
Rough sketches of sheep
Rough sketches of sheep

Rough sketches of sheep and a squirrel
Rough sketches of sheep and a squirrel
Rough sketches of sheep
Rough sketches of sheep

The chickens scurried about too quickly for me to be able to capture them.

Rough sketches of chickens
Rough sketches of chickens

The donkeys weren’t doing anything interesting either. Their movements though reminded me of Muybridge’s 19th century experiments with animal locomotion, although his subjects were primarily horses (Eadweard Muybridge and Lewis S. Brown, 1957).

Rough sketch of a donkey and a chicken
Rough sketch of a donkey and a chicken
Rough sketch of a donkey
Rough sketch of a donkey

I also found some goats bucking, which was a beautiful movement, but difficult to capture.

Rough sketches of goats
Rough sketches of goats

The drawing was punctuated by conversations about the animation industry. It  was a good day of practice but it was evident that I am a long way away from being able to understand and translate animal movement into drawings.

• Muybridge, E. and Brown, L. (1957). Animals in motion. New York: Dover Publications.